Wednesday, February 23, 2011

What's in a name?

When we first moved to our new acreage, we talked about giving it a name. Several ideas were floated about, but nothing really resonated. One beautiful spring morning, I awoke to sunshine, bird song, and the plumb tree bursting with blooms. It was one of those miraculous mornings that come along now and then. We kicked around Spanish names and English names.
    The Spanish name thing came about because I have spent most of my adult life in areas where there were/are many Spanish speaking people. I have fallen in love with the Spanish language. Some how, there is a fluidty and lilt to the language that pleases my musically tuned ear.  Having said that, I must confess that I have only a "barely working" knowledge of Spanish. It was required of me in a former job, but of course I've lost most of my linguistic skills over time.

   This particular morning, though, the words esta milagro just sort of popped into my head.  And yes, what I was seeing was truly a miracle. From that moment on, our little place has been Milagro (mee-LAW-grow) [which, in Spanish means miracle] Acres. As the story unfolds, I will be sharing many of God's little miracles that occur, almost daily at Milagro Acres. I praise God each morning for placing me (us) in the midst of his bountiful, lush, green Oregon. I praise Him, too, for giving me somone with whom I may share it... someone who loves creation so much he spent thirty years as a forester. It just doesn't get much better than that!

2 comments:

  1. Love this blog, the name and your writing. I'm happy you found a place that we can follow your wisdome. :)

    ReplyDelete